Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Last Week

Or is it, the last weak?  From my background in distance running (albeit 25 years ago), the last week (or even 10 days) is the week to taper, or cut back on your training.  There is an old adage:  you can't win the race in the last week but you can lose it (by over-training).

The training we do today benefits us 2 weeks from now, not 2 to 5 days from now.  Tapering is great!  You get to cut back on the training and begin to recoup strength from all the swimming, cycling and running  from the weeks before.

This triathlon (now 3 days away) is special because about 3+ weeks ago I asked my already fit and athletic wife if she was interested in also doing it.  Yes (!) came her reply about a day later.  While I will struggle most in the water, that is her strength.   It will be her first tri and her distances just a bit shorter.  She will swim 300 meters, me  500.  She will ride 15k, me 20k.  She will run 2 miles, me 5k.  And to make sure it's a family affair our two sons will be there, taking pictures and hopefully not getting hit by a bike.

Watching my wife train, I reminded her that running alone is nice but running without an immediate transition FROM cycling is a different animal altogether.  Fresh leg running and running after cycling have as much in common as Miley Cyrus and good manners.  Not so much.

I rejoiced in my final swim yesterday before school.  That was the first time I used a swim cap, and also wore a pretty thick, long-sleeved rash guard that I will also be wearing Sunday.  I just have one more bike-run to do tomorrow and that will be it.  Oh, except for shaving my legs.  Shaving not so much for less drag in the water, but more for if I were to crash in the bike portion as smooth legs slide on pavement.  Hairy legs rip skin as they hit the asphalt.  I know this from experience, but that's a story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment